Medium has launched a collection of subscription-based publications that cover a range of subjects with the goal of serving readers, not advertisers. We are looking for a seasoned Art Director who will contribute to the evolving visual identity of these publications, which include GEN (politics) OneZero (technology), Elemental (health) ZORA (Women of color), Forge (personal development), Marker (business and entrepreneurship), and LEVEL (black and brown men).
The right person for this position is someone with a history of demonstrating outstanding taste and vision, creating original, forward-thinking art and photo across a wide range of surfaces. We want a digital-first, energetic, and versatile individual who can think creatively about how stories can be told visually. Originality and a creative, can-do approach toward problem-solving are a must.
The ideal candidate has experience working with editorial, product, social and engineering teams, is a highly effective collaborator, and has an extensive network of illustrators and photographers. This person must be comfortable in a fast-paced, digital startup culture and be ready to get hands-on(and have fun!) helping to grow something new.
Who you are
- You have a minimum of 5+ years of experience working in editorial design.
- You are passionate about typography, design, and photography.
- You have a portfolio that demonstrates an eye for storytelling, concept, composition, color and typography.
- You are proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop and Illustrator).
- You are solutions-oriented and a strong communicator.
- You are a team player.
- You are versatile, and comfortable working in a start-up environment, where speed, flexibility and experimentation are part of the day-to-day culture.
- You are a positive, straightforward, and effective communicator.
- You like working on a team and can help improve other people’s ideas through collaboration and brainstorming.
- You believe that good ideas can come from anywhere.
- You embrace excellence.
Some experience with designing infographics(preferred but not required).
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We’d love to hear from you.
This position can be based in New York, San Francisco, or remote within the U.S.
Please click the button below to apply for the remote job.