We’re looking for designers-who-code with a broad range of experience to complement our existing Product and Marketing teams to help give our users and customers a great impression of the Ghost brand.
What we’re looking for 🔎
Everyone at Ghost is an engineer, including our design team. We’re looking for designers who are as comfortable working in HTML/CSS as they are in Figma. This is a broad role which is about leading design efforts in lots of different areas, but particularly around our website, brand and our public facing themes. So we’re looking for people with extensive experience building beautiful, functional websites.
There’s no “hand-off” process at Ghost, all designers deliver their own creations and are responsible to the full spectrum of tasks from ideation, to front-end development, and performance analysis.
What this role involves:
- 🎨 Creation of websites, landing pages, themes, email templates, checkout flows, billing UI. Designing and building many of our most public facing properties. The visual voice of the company.
- ⚡️ Working with design and marketing teams to define, evolve, and maintain Ghost’s brand identity across all marketing and product touch points.
- 🚀 Working with the marketing/business team on projects which are directly related to growing the business and creating user-facing content.
- 💑 We work on cross-functional product teams of 2-5 people, usually one designer and a few developers.
- 👻 Lots of freedom to take control of your process, iterating and learning what works (and what doesn’t), and putting your work into production. There’s a lot of opportunity for professional growth here, as the team expands.
- 📢 Communicating effectively with stakeholders when presenting your work and clearly articulating your design rationale
- 🤹♂️ Managing multiple projects, while setting appropriate expectations and meeting realistic deadlines
We’re looking for someone who is:
- Very comfortable with code. Ghost is a software company, and everyone here codes in one way or another. You’ll need to be comfortable with coding your designs in modern HTML & CSS.
- Fiercely independent. All teams at Ghost operate fairly autonomously, and all team members are responsible for helping make decisions about what needs to be done. You’ll need to be comfortable ideating, prototyping, testing and delivering designs without someone standing over your shoulder telling you what to do.
- Meticulous about style. Despite frequent character assassination amongst UX professionals, aesthetic style matters a great deal. We don’t A/B test 50 shades of blue here to determine what converts best, we care about making beautiful things which we love.
- Humble but opinionated. We like smart people who have lots of ideas, yet are happy to discard their former opinions whenever a better way of doing things presents itself.
- A clear communicator. Good design is good communication, and as a remote team which communicates almost exclusively through writing — concise, written communication is absolutely essential to this role.
- An active collaborator. We look for people who actively want critical feedback on their work early and often, and who get a kick out of refining and pushing what they do as a collaborative process because it creates a better end result. No design heroes.
- Hungry for meaningful work, and space to do it. Almost all work at Ghost is complex and extremely challenging – but also deeply rewarding. We’re not in the slightest bit fucking interested in what Design-Twitter thinks about… well, anything at all really. We’re actively uncool like that.
This is a role where you can help influence design over the long term, not just fulfil a temporary brief which needs to be delivered quickly.
We don’t mind where you’re based or what hours you work, but this role does require reasonable working-hours overlap with the rest of our product/marketing teams in Europe.
We value diversity of all types at Ghost and our team is made up of a kind, thoughtful group of people with a wide range of backgrounds. We have as many people who speak German as we do English and our engineering team contains as many women as it does men. Some of us are single, others are married, while others are parents. We actively try to find people with different perspectives and experiences to the ones we already have.
Please click the button below to apply for the remote job.